American golfer Pat Perez was his usual blunt self this week at the LIV Golf Invitational Series event outside of Portland, Ore on Tuesday night with his words and attire of choice. The three-time PGA Tour winner donned a shirt emblazoned with 100-dollar bills. When he met with the media a few hours prior, he wasn’t any less subtle. “For me, it’s really simple”.
“I’ve played 515 events, I’m forty-six. I’ve been on the road since 1998. I’ve been on the road longer than Matt Wolff has been alive,” the 46-year-old said when asked about his decision to join the controversial Saudi-backed rival tour. Whether you look at him or not, at the very least, Perez is being honest, although that is a low bar right now in the golf civil war, with the Saudi regime’s attempt at sports washing its abhorrent human rights record.
“I’m tired of being on the road everyday”
Continuing his reasons, Perez spoke about the fact that he did not spend nearly enough time with his son. “I have an almost 4-year-old. I missed my son’s birth last year. The bottom line is I’m tired of being on the road every day and I don’t have to do it now”.
“The opportunity is like winning the lottery for me. I’m a 30 to 33-week guy. Every year I’ve done it and now I don’t have to. And I get to be with them. I get to be with my family. It’s a no-brainer for a guy my age that’s been on the road. I just had three weeks off and I feel great”
Perez continued, “I couldn’t be more excited about this, and that’s the bottom line”. Speaking about the controversies surrounding the series said, “I’m playing golf. This group has provided me with an opportunity to play golf and have a different schedule, and that’s my only concern. That’s my deal. I understand the topics you’re trying to bring up, and they’re horrible events, but I’m here to play golf. I’ve got an opportunity to play golf, and that’s it”.
Also Read: “Apology was such horsesh*t” – Pat Perez voices his opinion on Phil Mickelson episode